Wednesday, July 27, 2011

9. Room

Donoghue, Emma. Room. New York: Little, Brown and Company, 2010. Text

Annotation:"Today I'm five.  I was four last night going to bed in Wardrobe but when I wake up in Bed in the dark I'm changed to five, abracadabra."

Recommendation: The book Room by Emma Donoghue was a very interesting read.  The story is written from the point of view of a five year old.  This is  a different take from the other YA books that I have read.  The words are choppy and at times unintelligible, so at first it took some getting used to.  However, when I did get the hang of this style, I really liked it.  This style made it much more realistic because it was as if you were actually holding a conversation with this child.  I do think that this may hurt for YA readers because I do see them getting fed-up with the style quickly and not finishing the book.  It also hurt the overall flow of the story, as it took more time to read and reread sentences.
The plot of the story was very emotional.  There were happy and sad moments for all of the characters, which made the story interesting because it was always changing.  At first it may be hard for YA readers to find relevance to the story, but when looked at deeper, I think many YA readers will love it.  The story deals with the overall themes of isolation, coming out of isolation, and growing into a person.  These are all things that many teens deal with on a daily basis.  Although the characters are going through extreme cases with these themes, the central feelings and ideas will stand out to teens.  There is also a tremendous story of courage and beating the odds in the novel, which will be inspiring to teens who are in a hard place.
Overall, I think this will be an enjoyable read for teens, as long as they allow themselves to look past the initial shock of writing.
Genre: ALEX Award Winner 

No comments:

Post a Comment